Wednesday, May 17, 2006

 

So what did I learn from Hiring Fun?

Well, firstly, that the system worked. That was my biggest relief.

Secondly, I need to do a few things in future:
- Question more closely the candidate's experience. Ounces of experience are not quite like ounces of gold it seems.
- Do the design portion of the test in the first interview. If the candidate cannot plan a simple system then no amount of syntax knowledge can replace.

Thirdly, I was reminded very clearly that the best candidate is not always the best candidate. I did immediately change the job advertisement we had. I reduced the focus on PHP and tried to look for a broader range of experience. Someone who has dabbled in different languages is more likely to be a real programmer. Ultimately, though, you just have to keep asking the right questions.

And, as Joel says, provide the right incentives.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?